October 3, 2009

Happy to be Healthy!

What a long couple of days we have had! I guess I will start from the beginning. Sorry this is going to be long.


On Monday, Maddox pulled himself up and was standing holding on to one of the back of one of our kitchen chairs. Well, the chair started to fall and he held on and he went straight back and hit the back of his head on a corner of the elliptical (with the chair still on top of him). I FREAKED out because I knew he hit hard. Derek and my mom were both there and they reassured me he was fine, that it was just a bonk. He calmed down very easily and was never bothered by it. He had a goose egg where he had hit but that was about it. Well, 4 days later (Thursday evening), he woke up after being asleep for a couple hours and he had a huge soft mass on the side of his head. Again, I FREAKED out and showed Derek and my parents. We all knew we had to take him to the hospital. My Dad and Derek gave him a priesthood blessing before we left. It didn't calm me down much at the time, but I knew he needed it. We got to Children's Hospital at about 10:45pm and they got us back to a room at about 11:45. They looked him over and decided that they needed to do a ct scan. The Dr didn't think they would find anything but just to make sure. He was so good during the scan. He was scared but I was right there by him and it was fast and painless. After waiting a little while longer she came back with the results, and of course I was not expecting to hear it. A skull fracture. I mean really, I thought I was going to faint. She said it was a small crack and that only a little bit of blood had gone into the crack. She said that the amount that went in was so minor that there was nothing they needed to do to fix it. The neurosurgeon then came in and explained it all to us. It was not common at all for them to see a skull fracture with no other symptoms, besides the blood that had pooled up on the side of his head. And it wasn't common at all for that to show up 4 days after the initial hit. They thought maybe he had hit it again and that is what caused the blood to fill up. Anyway, we had to be admitted so they could watch him and make sure that he was okay. It was a long sleepless night for Derek and I but Maddox was the happiest boy ever. The nurses loved him (of course) and they could tell he was going to be fine. It was SUPER hard when they told me a social worker had to come in and talk with us. They said it was completely standard, because it was a skull fracture. It was so hard to hear that, but I knew it was coming. We didn't end up leaving till after 3pm on Friday. It was a long day of waiting but I didn't mind as long as our little boy was going to be okay. We have to go back to see the neurosurgeon in a couple weeks to get him checked out again and then in a month they have to do another ct scan. They said that as his brain grows they may have to check him again to make sure the skull healed and that the brain doesn't come through the crack. Seriously, I'm sick just talking about it. The mass on his head will absorb eventually and they don't have to do anything about it. It scares me so much to let him crawl around and play because I'm afraid he will hurt it again. I knew when he started pulling himself up to furniture at 7 months that he was going to get hurt, but I never thought to this extent. Needless to say, I blame myself. I should have baby proofed better. AND I should have trusted my instinct when he first hit his head to call the Dr. I'm so thankful to my Heavenly Father that he is going to be okay. Scary night, but for what happened we got the best possible answer!





This is how happy he was when he was awake. I didn't leave him in the crib much when he was awake. All he wanted to do was pull himself up and stand in it and it scared me. I mean really, put a child with a skull fracture in a metal crib...NO THANK YOU!



Being in Children's made me so thankful for my healthy children. We saw many REALLY sick kids and it broke our hearts. I pray for all of them now in my nightly prayers. We hope we don't have to go back there with a child ever again!


12 comments:

Hayley's Comment said...

You are so lucky he's okay! I'm praying for him too so nothing will go wrong when his brain grows! I can't imagine how scary it mush have been.

Kayleen said...

I am so glad he's ok. Believe me when I say I know exactly what you went though. Childrens is great but I don't ever really want to be there.

Kammy T said...

So sad Carly! I'm glad everything is going to be fine, and Maddox will have no memory of the bonk or the hospital. It is humbling to be at Children's and realize how many horrible things can go wrong, so grateful!

Megan said...

I'm so glad he's okay! What a scary day.

Analisa-creator of hairblingzcutethings said...

oh how scary! I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. Children's is definitely not a fun place to be, how lucky you only had to spend a night. take care.

Candice said...

I'm glad to hear that he's doing okay. What a very scary and intimidating experience!

allison said...

Oh my word, Carly. You should have called me and I could help with the other kids. I am so glad he is ok.

Ashley said...

Ohhhhh what a scary experience! I'm so glad he's okay and I hope he recovers fast!

Anonymous said...

Carly! I'm super sorry about Madd-dawg...maybe mothers shouldn't tell little children they look goofey when they wear toy football helmets. INVEST NOW! (Preferably UW)

Lisita said...

Ahhh! I'm so glad he is going to be ok. How scary for all of you!

Heather said...

Oh Carly, I feel so bad for you. Zoe cracked her head on the corner of a cabinet a few weeks ago, and I almost threw up seeing the goose egg grow. It happens to the best of us though! Geoff fractured his skull when he was about Maddox's age, and his parents are the most cautious people you'd ever meet - and Geoff didn't have any problems as he grew. I'm so glad the little guy's ok!

The Bredensteiners said...

So scary Carly!! I'm so glad to hear that he is okay!! Don't beat yourself up- kid's fall.